What Can Cause Hearing Loss in Children?
Children are generally affected by two types of hearing loss: congenital (present at birth) or acquired (appears after birth). Each category of hearing loss can occur due to different causes.
Congenital hearing loss:
- Certain infections during pregnancy
- Ototoxic medications used in pregnancy
- Birth complications
- Neurovascular or nervous system complications
- Family history of hearing loss
Acquired hearing loss:
- Untreated ear infections
- Perforation of the eardrum
- Excessively loud noises
- Diseases such as otosclerosis
- Serious injury to the head
- Ototoxic medication
The Treatment You Need
At Hope Therapy Center, your child can begin the path to habilitation in a comprehensive and caring environment. Our occupational therapist and speech language pathologist are determined to make a difference in your child’s life with hard work, professionalism and expertise. For more information about our services, contact our office in McAllen today.